Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Flat Tires and Flat Notes

This morning I'm sitting at a Goodyear Tire place.  Last night after a Watson & Nash show at Nashville's Third & Lindsley, I walked outside, loaded my gear up and heard the words, "Bro, you've got a flat", come out of my manager's mouth.  Great!  Long story short, Joe, Claire, our manager and me changed the tire in the cold rain.  

Last night was a bit of a wash, but I figured it would be that way.  Don't get me wrong, we had a great show and a small fun audience, but it was an unusual night…Our drummer had unexpectedly been put in the hospital for heart stints due to 90% blockage in his main artery…(Luckily he's o.k.) but due to the last minute change, and our back up drummer being out of town, Joe and I decided to do a small intimate acoustic set,  just the two of us.  A couple hours before the show, weather men were urging people to stay home and off the roads, due to drizzle, low temperature and a chance of black ice.   It was also a Monday night.  We typically avoid performing on Mondays and typically do mid week and weekend gigs when in town but for some reason we accepted a Monday night spot.  Due to a low turn out, which has been a little out of the norm for us lately, we cut the show a tiny bit shorter and rocked out our best songs for the few that were there.  After a quick load out, we packed out gear beneath the drizzle and were about to hop in my Explorer…Flat.

So, I here at Goodyear.  They are patching the tire and the guy has just talked me into rotating and balancing my tires.  I always let the guys at these type places talk me into extra stuff.  He urged me that I really needed to have those things done and since I don't want to be back up here in a week getting an "I told you so" glance, I'll let them.  Plus, I worry that they may intentionally unbalance my tires so I have to come back…I hate to think like that but I do.  So, rotate and balance away.  Hopefully I'll be rolling in a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment